Traditionally, Chinese brides will wear the ‘qun kwa’ during their wedding day. As it looks luxurious and gorgeous, there are some common jewelleries that will be paired with the gown to enhance the overall look. At the same time, there are different meanings of each of the jewelleries as well as a wish to the couples. We will explain about the common traditional Chinese wedding jewelleries here in order to let you understand more about it.
Dragon And Phoenix Bangles
The dragon and phoenix are the must have symbols in Chinese weddings. This is because the dragon is recognised as ‘the ruler of beasts’ and the phoenix is ‘the king of birds’. At the same time, they are the symbol of ‘Yin and Yang’ in Chinese culture. Hence, iit brings the meaning of harmony and balance when they come together. So, the Dragon and Phoenix bangles would help to wish the couple for the enduring love and a successful marriage.
Gold Pig Necklace
In Chinese culture, pigs symbolise prosperity, fertility, abundance, and success. As a result, one of the most common traditional Chinese wedding jewelleries for the bride is a gold pig necklace. Usually, other auspicious symbols such as double happiness, dragons, and phoenixes are added to a gold pig necklace.
Mandarin Ducks Bracelet
Mandarin Ducks are a pair of ducks that in Chinese culture represent a long-lasting relationship. They stand for love, faithfulness, and dedication. As a result of its lovely connotation, Mandarin Ducks are used as embellishments on various wedding items. Obviously, one of the most well-liked styles of wedding jewellery is the Mandarin Ducks bracelet.
- Advertisement -
Popular Chinese wedding jewellery for the bride also includes floral hairpins. The three greatest choices for flowers are peony, lily, and lotus. Chinese culture associates the peony with wealth and success, the lily with everlasting love, and the lotus with purity. A lovely hairpin can enhance the elegance of a ‘qi pao’ or ‘qun kwa’, creating a stunning bridal look.
Nine Treasures Wedding Box
Typically, the bride’s family would give her the Nine Treasures Wedding Box. Nine significant objects are included in the box for the bride to begin her new stage of life.
Nine Significant Obj
- Scale (如意秤): The Chinese name for the gold scale is “Ruyi cheng,” or “如意称”. It sounds with the word “称心如意” which refers to success. The gold scale therefore contains the family’s best wishes for the bride to lead a life of happiness and fulfilment.
- Mirror (镜子): It stands for the beauty, perfection, and grace of the bride. At the same time, the wishes for a happy and joyful marriage are represented by the gold mirror.
- Happy Basket (金斗): Rice was kept in the basket during ancient times. A gold basket thus represents the groom’s family’s huge fortune. Giving the bride a gold basket is customarily viewed as a sign that she will marry into a prosperous household.
- Scissors (剪刀): In Chinese wedding customs, the scissors represent the bride’s ability to dress well and have a luxurious lifestyle.
- Abacus (算盘): The abacus is the tool that used for calculation in the past. As a result, it represents the ability of the couple to successfully manage their finances and enjoy a happy marriage.
- Ruler (尺子): A golden ruler is regarded as an indicator of happiness in marriage in China. Additionally, it is a blessing of wealth and a long and happy marriage as well when the golden ruler is sent to the bride.
- Embroidered Shoes (绣花鞋): The Chinese name for shoes is ‘Xie’ which also means ‘harmony’ in the language. Moreover, as shoes are always worn in pairs, the embroidered shoes represent the couple’s commitment to staying together no matter what will happen in the future.
- Comb (梳子): In ancient China, the groom and the bride’s hair were chopped off and tied together. This means that the groom and bride are joined together by the comb in the treasure box as a symbol of their enduring love.
- Fortune Box (压钱箱): One of the dowry things that the bride presents to the groom’s family is the fortune box. It demonstrates the bride’s family’s wealth and her ability to bring luck to the new house.